The city of Alghero
The conference will be held in the city of Alghero, located on the north west part of beautiful Sardinia island, Italy. Internationally well known for its beautiful beaches, that make it a great sea resort during an extended summer season (May/October), Alghero is also a lovely historical town, with restaurants, bars, pubs and nightlife that make it one of Sardinia’s top touristic destinations.
The town center is well connected to all major European destinations (the rest of Italy, UK, Spain, Germany, and so on…) thanks to the Alghero-Fertilia airport (only ten minutes away from town), with daily low-cost flights.
We recommend to make your hotel reservation early. Alghero is a popular destination in the summer and it is advisable to book in advance. Here is a list of recommended hotels and B&B.
The Conference will be held at the Palazzo del Pou Salit of the Department of Architecture, Design and Planning (DADU), University of Sassari, in Alghero, Sardinia, Italy.
- Address: Bastioni Pigafetta, 07041 Alghero SS
Alghero can be reached by flying into one of three international airports of Sardinia:
- Alghero Airport “Riviera del corallo” has daily domestic connections from/to Rome and Milan. A public shuttle bus service (ALFA), connects Alghero-Fertilia Airport with the city’s central stop (Alghero via Catalogna, 5 minutes away from the old historic center and from Bastioni Pigafetta where the conference will take place).
Tickets can be bought within the airport (a ticket machine is very well hidden in the lobby, on your left as you exit the arrivals gate), for the price of 1 euro. The bus leaves outside the main building (outside the exit from the main lobby at your right as you exit the arrivals gate). It is a very good service, which takes about 25 mins, and leaves every hour (7 am, 8 am, 9 am….) from the airport (inbound) and a half hour of every hour from via Catalunia stop (outbound). Here is a link to the ALFA Schedule.
A regular taxi service (costing 45/50 euros) connects the airport to the city’s centre in about 12 minutes.
- Olbia Airport has connections to more locations in continental Europe. It is situated approx. 150 km from Alghero. There is a bus service between Olbia and Alghero two times a day, duration approx. 2 to 2.5 hours. The bus reservation is highly recommended in order to secure your seat. The reservation is made via WhatsApp at this number +393466600688, where you need to indicate: 1) place of departure (between Olbia airport/Olbia city center/Sassari/Alghero airport/Alghero city center); 2) day and time; 3) number of persons; 4) phone number. The ticket cost from Olbia airport to Alghero city center (and return) is 25€ and is paid directly on board. Click here to get the timetable of the bus from Olbia Airport to Alghero city center. Given the limited number of connections, another option is to rent a car.
- Cagliari Airport offers flights to/from several destinations in Europe. There is a train service between Cagliari and Sassari (3 hours) and from Sassari to Alghero.
Alternatively, Porto Torres Harbour (25 km from Alghero) has many daily connections to Genova, Livorno and Marseille with several ferry companies.
Italy is part of the Schengen area. Please verify whether you need a Schengen visa before your trip. If you require a visa, we recommend contacting the nearest embassy, consulate, or travel agency for information about the passport and visa requirements from your country for entry to Italy (Schengen). If you need an invitation letter for visa purposes, then write in due time to the local organization chair (email@example.com). Unfortunately, we require the following information in order to avoid visa fraud:
- Students: brief reference letter from your supervisor including contact details for the University.
- Non-students: the Digital Object Identifier (DOI) of at least one publication in scope of the SAT conference OR some other evidence of your affiliation with SAT (e.g reference letter from employer).
WED JULY 5 – 5:45 PM
The Welcome Reception event will take place at the conference’s venue.
THU JULY 6 – 5 PM
Alghero Walking Tour is a classic guided visit of the ancient city of 2 hours. We meet in front of the conference’s venue and head right to the real starting point of the tour route, that is at the entrance of the old walled city, specifically to Porta Terra, from where we will begin our cultural guided tour along the way of the Aragonese towers and defensive walls, then forward inside the old town across old buildings, churches, squares and landmarks.
THU JULY 6 – 7:30 PM
Immediately after the walking tour, we will head towards Piazzale della Pace to take the buses and reach the Agriturismo Sa Mandra where the social dinner will be held. Make sure you are on time: the buses will leave at 7:30 PM sharp. After dinner, the buses will take us back to the center of Alghero.